You’ve taken the first step by joining ChristianMingle. But with a blank profile staring back at you from the screen, you have no idea where to start! Fortunately, we’ve put together this easy guide to making your online dating profile shine. Be sure to heed this advice if you want to stand out among the millions of members on this unique online dating site.
There are some relatively new profile features on ChristianMingle that every member should know about. If you only recently joined the site, you might not realize it, but you joined just in time to take advantage of these revamped profile features right from the outset! Here’s what’s new:
- Every member now has an enhanced profile layout that better displays photos so you can really make a great first impression. You also have more space to describe yourself, and there’s a prominent new line where you can choose to display a quote that’s meaningful to you.
- Highlighted Profiles are now available to paid members. This lets you change the color of your profile, which helps it to stand out in search results.
- You can also upgrade to be in the Member Spotlight, which puts you right at the top of the search results so potential matches will see you first.
Profile Photos Done Right
Now that you know about some of the new profile features you can take advantage of, it’s time to get down to the nitty gritty. First up are your profile photos. ChristianMingle actually makes it really easy to upload photos. You can import favorites directly from Facebook or upload individual files from your computer or your phone. Be aware that ChristianMingle does moderate profile photos, so make sure you stay within the following guidelines:
- Your main photo should be a clear headshot of just you (no one else in the photo)
- No copyrighted material (including cartoons)
- No sexually suggestive photos (including men without shirts)
- No altered photos
ChristianMingle member profiles can display up to eight photos total. And since profiles with photos are about 10 times more likely to attract views, it’s best to take advantage of the opportunity to show off your best side. But how to you pick the photos to display? Here are some helpful hints:
- Avoid selfies. The problem with selfies is that they simply don’t have the authentic quality of a regular photo. That being said, if there’s a particular selfie you really love, go ahead and include as one of your eight photos – just don’t make it your main profile picture or upload more than one!
- Don’t use group shots. These are the most frustrating profile photos to come across. It’s difficult to figure out which one of the group is you. Even worse, it leaves other members guessing about the backstory (“Is that girl standing next to him his ex?”). Be straightforward and use only solo shots for your ChristianMingle profile.
- Add photo descriptions. Just a line or two can really provide some great insight into your life and your personality. Rather than just posting a photo with your pup, for example, you could write “I absolutely love taking my dog Maya to the beach for playtime on the weekends.” A vacation photo, meanwhile, could be captioned with, “This trip to Spain was my favorite travel adventure yet. The food, the architecture and the people were so inspiring.”
A Description That Suits You
For some members, the toughest part about creating a profile is filling out the personal details. It can be difficult to describe yourself so openly on an online dating website. Fortunately, ChristianMingle offers some unique prompts and detailed sections that make it easier to create your profile from scratch. Let’s look at each section so you can get some hints for how to fill them out with the type of detail that will get you noticed:
- Header: An opening paragraph really helps to set the tone for your whole profile, so make sure to spend some time on this one. ChristianMingle helps kick it off with the question “Who am I and what am I looking for?” In three to five sentences, give other members a sense of who you are. You can mention work, hobbies, friends and/or family. Then, try to convey an idea of your personality without resorting to clichés. For example, you might say that you’re very detail-oriented and love to plan things out in advance, or maybe you are someone who loves to let life surprise you and enjoys being spontaneous and adventurous. Finish this section with a sentence or two about what you want in a relationship – and be honest!
- Personal Stats: Just under the header is a short section where you can list some important details about your life. More stats boxes are found below the questions. These sections are easy to fill out since they are based on plain facts. It’s best to fill out each section in its entirety; leaving certain entries blank can be a deal-breaker for some.
- Questions: This section includes several questions dealing with relationships, religion and values. Again, the more detail you include in your responses, the better. Above all else, avoid writing a response that sounds impersonal. Really think about your own experiences and write something that truly expresses your feelings and thoughts. Here’s an example: instead of just saying that past relationships have taught you to “Let go of the past,” you could say, “I’ve discovered that forgiveness is the best way to move forward. It has allowed me to remember the positive things from a past relationship so I’m left with happy memories while realizing that there was a reason things didn’t work out.”
- Quote: This is one of the newer features at ChristianMingle. It’s a great way to set your profile apart and make a lasting impression. Feel free to get creative; you can use song lyrics, bible verses, a passage from a favorite book, a quote from a historical figure, etc.
- Things I Like To Do: Add up to 12 hobbies or interests to further detail your personality and lifestyle. Each one comes with a nice graphic that helps create more visual interests in your profile.
- Question Of The Week: This part of your profile is certainly optional, but it can really set your profile apart. Answering the question adds another personal touch and shows that you’ve been active on the site recently.
Whew! That’s a lot of information, but trust us – putting thought and effort into your profile is so worth if you really want to meet someone on ChristianMingle. If you use the tips described here, you’re sure to attract more attention and increase your chances of finding that special someone online.
You may also be interested in The 4 Best Ways To Meet Someone On ChristianMingle